Opportunity to Chair a Labor & Employment Law Practice
What is the opportunity?
Having the full support of colleagues and firm resources, we provide an opportunity to grow your book of business, elevate your reputation and lead a team of dynamic professionals without the compensation-based pressures that parallel most law firm leadership positions.
Who are we?
Based in downtown Los Angeles and with offices throughout California, we are a progressive, congenial and supportive group of mostly former BigLaw attorneys who seek a pleasant, analytical and client-focused California lawyer to be the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice Group Leader.
The best candidate will be well-versed in current California wage and hour law, with years of experience having litigated wage and hour and FEHA-based cases. We seek a leader—not a boss—who cares about clients and colleagues alike.
Different from BigLaw, our firm culture strives to find a balance between work and life while continuing to provide the quality and scope of service that clients expect from a large law firm and without the attitude, ego and expense.
Right sized and nimble, we are regularly recognized by our peers, the legal and business communities for our efforts, including:
- Most Inspirational Women recognition, Los Angeles Times
- Influential Women Attorneys designation, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Most Admired Law Firm, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Top Litigator recognition, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Legal Trailblazers, National Law Journal
How can you succeed?
- Be a productive leader who works well with others and puts others before herself/himself
- Train, mentor and motivate younger professionals to become future labor & employment thought-leaders
- Raise the firm’s and your reputation as a thought leader in labor & employment
- Successfully manage client relationships and litigation matters
- Bill sufficient hours to meet the minimum billable hour requirement
- Be a team player and a pleasant person
- Respect everyone
- Be nimble
What comes with the job?
Support for your litigation matters and a friendly, diverse environment, including:
- Established client base with advice and counsel and litigation needs, including pay plans and wage and hour analysis
- PAGA and wage and hour class actions to manage and be responsible for resolving
- EDD matters to manage and be responsible for resolving
- FEHA cases to arbitrate to manage and be responsible for resolving
- Associate and counsel attorneys and paralegals who are looking forward to doing the heavy lifting on the litigation for you
- Factual investigations and legal investigations
- Ability to create HR compliance plans
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion as one of our founding principles
- Small nimble management committee that can implement change quickly
- Commitment to ethics and civility
- Firm marketing support
What won’t you find here?
- A primary focus on origination or attribution
- Silos that discourage teamwork and collaboration
- Incivility and unethical behavior
- Thankless, grueling hours
- Politics and in-fighting
- Egos and toxic masculinity
What else might you want to know?
Many firm clients pay employees on commission or piece rate structures. Having a knowledge of pay plans and structures and wage and hour issues involving commission and piece rate employees is helpful.
There is no particular expectation that you will come to the office every day or every week, except as needed to build and maintain firm culture. When in the office, you will find that our COVID protocols are sound and that we care about everyone’s health, safety and happiness.
The firm’s compensation and benefits package is competitive, including a better-than-average retirement plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer