John Swenson is a senior litigation and trial attorney with extensive experience practicing in the state and federal California courts, as well as jury and bench trial experience. He represents a wide variety of clients in environmental, consumer and commercial litigation; Proposition 65; employment; banking and finance; and personal injury defense.
Before joining Scali Rasmussen, John was a member of the complex litigation practice group at AmLaw 100 law firm Steptoe & Johnson LLP. His practice focused on the defense of Fortune 500 companies against allegations of environmental and industrial exposures to hazardous chemicals. From 2009 through 2012 John acted as California local counsel for a multi-national insurance company’s asbestos litigation docket, including the management and litigation of several hundred active personal injury and wrongful death cases across multiple jurisdictions.
John is committed to giving back to his community and dedicates a substantial portion of his practice to representing pro bono clients. This includes representing low income tenants in landlord disputes, volunteer work at the Legal Aid Foundation’s domestic violence clinic, and with Bet Tzedek’s Holocaust Survivor Reparations Project. John was named a 2006 and 2007 “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine, a distinction reserved for the top 2.5% of California attorneys practicing 10 years or less.
- Beverly Hills Could Drive Autonomous Vehicle Revolution, June 1, 2016, Law360
- Insurance Industry Will Fuel Switch to Driverless Cars, December 8, 2015, Law360
- Benson Opinion Hands Victory to Dealers, December 2015, IADAC West Coast Dealer
- California Federal Court Finds No Duty to Defend and No Continuing Duty to Investigate, Insurance Coverage Advisory, Issue 111, October 14, 2014
- California Supreme Court Clarifies Specificity Requirement for Disparagement Claims Under Advertising Injury Insurance, Insurance Coverage Advisory, Issue 97, June 16, 2014
- NY’s New Test For Unifying Disparate Claimants’ Injuries, March 25, 2013, Law360
- Juris Doctor, University of Minnesota Law School, 1996
- B.A., Political Science, St. Olaf College, 1990
- State Bar of California, 2003
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- National Association of Dealer Counsel, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Gene Elliott Foundation, Board Member