Melanie is a highly experienced legal and business advisor who focuses her practice primarily in two areas: Korean companies entering the U.S. market and automotive companies and dealers.
Melanie, who speaks Korean and has worked extensively with Korean-based clients, advises Korean companies on all aspects of doing business in the U.S., including market entry, corporate formation, cross border transactions, intellectual property, trade, taxation, immigration, licensing, advertising, and distribution. Melanie's background provides her with unique perspectives that help Korean companies seamlessly transition and compete in the U.S. market.
For nearly a decade, Melanie has represented automotive industry clients on a variety of federal and state regulatory matters, class action and consumer litigation, and transactional matters. She frequently serves as outside general counsel for national automotive clients, leading all work on compliance, transactions, advertising, and government investigations and audits. Melanie also has extensive experience representing startup electric vehicle manufacturers, Internet-based automotive advertising companies and national automotive retailers.
As an exclusive offering to automotive clients, Melanie has a team ready to provide multi-state mapping of applicable laws and regulations across the country. This unique state-by-state guidance has proved essential for business entities entering and expanding in the highly regulated automotive market, whether as a manufacturer, distributer, dealer, supplier, or Internet-based advertising platform for cars. Melanie has overseen massive multi-state regulatory projects for major players in the automotive space on issues involving state-specific licensing, advertising, and regulatory frameworks. The resulting road map provides a clearer picture of the pitfalls and opportunities that lay ahead and allows for strategic and focused planning.
- Juris Doctor, Tulane University Law School, 2003
- BA, University of Southern California, 2000
- State Bar of California, 2005
- State Bar of Nevada, 2006
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Korean American Bar Association
- International Association of Korean Lawyers
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Los Angeles County
- Korean American Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles
- National Association of Dealer Counsel, Member
- California Minority Counsel Program
- Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, CCEP certified